Friday 26 August 2011

The bees tweed knees

I haven't really done very much dressmaking recently. I think I did such a good job last summer that i have not really needed to make very many new things for this season. However, i did purchase some very nice tweed with my birthday money and it has been waiting for me to make up my mind on what to do. It is harder for me when I have made some investment and really want to make the best of it. And also I really like it when I have materials all ready for when inspiration strikes - it's best that way round.



I was really inspired by this photoshoot in the June edition of vogue and decided that i really wanted a below the knee a line skirt. I have been wearing a lot of dresses these days, so felt that this was a perfect idea to refresh the wardrobe a little. Also, a little while ago i was really mesmerised by a similar style skirt in the Chanel window at selfridges, so with my special fabric i knew it was my chance to recreate that effect.



I used my pattern for the A-line pocketed skirt, but cut it out so I could sew it without the pockets and instead have a zip fastening in the side seam. I am really so pleased with the result. I was a little worried about the weight of the fabric when it arrived - that perhaps it was going to be a bit bulky, but actually have been very pleased that although weighty, is not at all bulky, and has a brilliant drape to it.


I decided to use this piece inside out as the grey and pink threads running through are quite luminescent, but used the right side at the waistband for contrast and really think it looks lovely.

I left the hem to fray in a Chanel style (there is a line of stitching so it doesn't go too far though!) but perhaps i will tidy this up soon.

wonderful addition i say. I have another piece to use also, but perhaps a dress with that. Now there is a bank holiday weekend so watch this space!

Yours smart in tweed,
Emilia. xxx

No comments: