Thursday 6 January 2011

Saplings of new year stitchings

Now it is the new year, and my mind is on resolutions. I was inspired to read Debbie's resolutions as they are like challenges for the year ahead. I especially can relate to her resolution to knit a little less and read a little more. That is definitely one i am trying to do too.

One distration from my needles and wool is a cross stitch sampler kit that i got for christmas. I know that cross stitch is not all that hip (unlike knitting) but this one doesn't have a single forever friend in sight, and when it is complete, i think will be quite wonderful.

NOT LIKE THIS

I read in the book Mad Bad and Sad, that embroidery used to be bad news in days of old because it made women detached from their family and from society at large. There was one woman who was murdered by her daughter and they blamed it on the needle work. I only hope i can keep a handle on it. The little bit i have done i found very pleasing, but I am not sure it is quite as addictive as crochet (i have gone cold turkey on the crochet since the last time) and does take more concentration than knitting.

I won't ruin the surprise, but will update my progress to see how it grows. It will be a long term project, but my resolution is to finish within the year. it will be quite a triumph!

saplings of a mighty oak

 
Wishing you a happy new year,

Emilia. xxx

No comments: