Tuesday 28 September 2010

x Cross and Dot .

This weekend has started to feel very autumnal, with a very chilly night or two recently and so I am accepting it is time to start to fully embrace the autumn in all it's golden leafed glory.

Last night i had my second pattern cutting class, and really we really got down to business drafting our first basic skirt pattern. I am proud of my efforts, and have almost finished producing my first skirt pattern.

First we used our measurements from last week and some paper called cross and dot paper (so called because of some very helpfully placed crosses and dots) and some instructions from Julia, our teacher, and drafted the shapes which make a skirt.

my draft pattern, ready for tracing and adding the seam allowances

My homework this week is to trace off my shapes and add the seam allowances and other information to make a finished pattern ready to use to make a calico toile in next week's next class.

It was really fun to be drawing and to be able to ask if i got stuck with something and to work with other people in my class. And the most pleasing part was to start to see the shape become something like a pattern. That was really exciting for me.

My homework now is to trace off and add the seam allowances and other information to make a pattern which can be used to make my calico toile in next week's next class. I think that is going to be a nice evening.

After we have made our basic pattern and adjusted it to a perfect fit, we will learn how to incorporate more features and create something that we have designed from our own imaginations. I have therefore been letting mine run riot so i can take full advantage of that. I think i have a good idea of what i will want to do now, although do change my mind a lot. I want to do everything!

 
i am keeping a scrapbook to hold my ideas

When i did french classes it really felt like hard work, but this is learning that is fun! There is a girl in my class who wants to work in the fashion industry. i can understand that as i think to be a professional pattern cutter would really be a satisfying occupation.

yours learnedly,
Emilia. x


No comments: