Thursday 27 May 2010

tent dresses for camping trips (and other summer events)

I am striving to make this summer as good as the summer of 2008. That was the year that i was first living in Brighton, and there were so many beach gatherings, and parties, and picnics and events. Last year was a bit quiet, so i am determined this year will be better and that i will live the summer to the full. So I was so delighted this morning to see that there are plans for a bank holiday picnic. yes. They are the best of the summer events in my opinion.

And i invited lots of people to the Stitch and Beach knitting party on the 13th. That coincides with world wide knit in public day... http://www.wwkipday.com/   i hadn't heard of it, or realised at all that i was contributing to the cause until it was pointed out. it must be a higher universal knitting force There is group also meeting to knit in public on the saturday in st Ann's well gardens. I love it when something is worldwide. it makes it all the grander. it's nice to be part of something big (even though we're not really a part of it). I checked their merchandise shop though, and i wasn't all to impressed, i thought it would be things to help with the knitting in public parties, like bunting, and picnic blankets and banners and teacosies. They just have a lot of cotton t-shirts. I like the idea of everyone wearing a uniform though. i don't know what stitch and beach uniform would be. Maybe knitted pirate hats...

I am still yet to start photographing things. i know that is important for making a blog, so i can show and tell. must try harder! However, last night my new dressmaking pattern arrived. it came from ebay, and very speedily. i'm excited that it was in time for the weekend so i have time to make one. It's a tent dress - nice and roomy, and i think it is a shape which suits me. I have scanned it for the world to see...



I am really so pleased to have got this - i think it will see me through the hot days, and looks to be straightforward to put together. I think my first attempt will be version 1 (on the right) but short sleeved. I am yet to purchase material, but there are some great places online for buy vintage fabrics, so i think this is the perfect oppertunity to indulge.

I started another scarf last night using Colinette Skye in colourway Banwy. I only ordered one ball and two balls of Art to knit together for contrast - but when they arrived i didn't think it would work so well so am rethinking my projects. The skye is lovely chunky wool though. (i think aran weight) perfect for scarf knitting-simple and satisfying  (no more daisy stitches!).

I have some black wool to knit a crow. I will leave you with a picture of a pony i knitted:

Knitted Pony.

Salutations,
Emilia. xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emilia- I love your blog.
I live in Brighton too and have been struggling with the pattern for the crochet collar that you made so beautifully. Do you belong to a stitch and bitch group?
Anita